There are misunderstandings regarding who the Pillars in the spiritual family of God are, but the answer is to look into the natural family.
- Justification – through Redemption by the blood of Jesus (the Born again experience –Col 1:14, Joh 3:3-6).
- Sanctification – through the Baptisms of the Holy Spirit – the Seal, the DNA of our salvation (Eph 4:30, Heb 10:10).
- DNA: Just like the same blood runs in the DNA of the natural family, so also the spiritual family. The Holy Spirit is the DNA and runs in every member of the the spiritual family (Eph 2;13, 1Pet 1:18-19).
- PARENTS: As there are parents that birth, nurture, direct, and love in the natural family, so it is in the spiritual family - household of faith (Gal 4:19, 1Cor 4:15, 1Pet 2:2, Phm 1:10).
- FOUNDATION: A solid godly foundation by the parents makes the home a haven of peace, so also in the spiritual family (Eph 2:20).
If we understood the role of parent in the natural family, we will understand the role of Apostles and Prophets in the spiritual family. God primarily set them forth in both families as “Pillars” to hold the houses
As God has designed that the foundation of the natural family is built on the natural parents, he has designed that the foundation of the spiritual family be built on “the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.” Eph 2;20).
The result of this for both families is that “the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord” (Eph 2:21).
If we understood the role of parent in the natural family, we will understand the role of Apostles and Prophets in the spiritual family. God primarily set them forth in both families as “Pillars” to hold the home (Gal 2:9).
“God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues” (1Cor 12:28).
In 1Cor 3:9, Paul says, “We are labourers together with God.” This means that all of us are laborers (builders) in both homes but some have been chosen to be pillars – foundation builders in the natural and or in the spiritual family (Mat 22:14, Eph 4:11).
In 1 Cor 3:10, Paul identified himself as a chosen pillar in the spiritual house. He calls himself “a wise master-builder". He says, “According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon”
Paul attributes his being called or chosen to be a wise master-builder to the “grace of God” (Heb 5:4). He however warned, “But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.”
It is therefore important for every “laborer” in the house of God to “take heed,” i.e. be careful how he builds on the foundation the people who have been chosen have laid.
Why did Paul stress the need for everyone building on the foundation to be careful?
- For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- If any man builds upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
- If any man's work abides which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
- If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire (1Cor 3:11-15)
The result of the building laid on the foundation by these Pillars and “home builders” is that:
- They become the temple of God: “…All the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord” (Eph 2:21).
- They are fitly joined and grow: The whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love (Eph 4:16).
However, there are many misunderstandings about who these “Pillars” in the spiritual family of God are. i.e. Apostles and Prophets.
- Many mistake “prophet” in the New Testament to “prophet” in the Old Testament because of the name.
- Many have no idea who the Apostle is because there is no such role or title in the Old Testament.
- The traditional church have greatly misled the Christian community about who these people are and there are so many people bearing the title today without knowing what it is.
It is important to know who Apostles and Prophets truly are in the light of the New Testament. The knowledge and discovery of this will reveal that many so-called Apostles and Prophets today are just mere title holders and do not have the calling and the function. This explains the delinquencies in the Christendom especially among young converts because they have no proper foundation by the pillars but by title holders.
Look out for Part 3 where these would be discussed. To read Part 1, click here.
Meanwhile, let’s close this with the word of Paul in 2Tim 2:19-21:
- Nevertheless, the foundation of God standeth sure
- The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity
- But in a great house (spiritual house and physical house) there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour
- If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
Shalom! And see you in Part 3