From the 97th verses down through 105, David penned what can be called one of the most important eulogy about the law and the commandments of God, which in our today’s world can be simply called, the word of God, as we are no longer under the law but under grace.
Here in this passage are ten powerful benefits of meditating on God's word.
Psa 119:97-105: “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies:
For they are ever with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. NUN.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
This is Part 1 of the 2-Parts Series on 10 POWERFUL BENEFITS OF EMBRACING GOD’S WORD.
Here in Part 1, let's explore five of the 10 benefits.
1. It makes you wiser than your enemies.
- Imagine being wiser than your enemies.
- This means:
- You’d always be a step ahead of them at all times and in all ways!
- This means victory.
- Only the word of God can do that when we mediate on it “day and night” like God told Joshua to do.
- God told Joshua that if he did that, he would have ‘good success.’ (Josh 1:8).
- We will have “good success, too, if we meditate on the word of God ‘all day.’
- This is divine! You understand more than, not one, or two, but ALL your teachers.
- Is this even possible?
- Well, David said he did. And if you read your Bible well, you know this is true. This is the result of not only reading the word of God but “Meditating” on it ALL DAY!
- There is power in the word of God through the Holy Spirit whom the Bible calls a “quickening spirit.’ he makes you to know and understand quickly beyond (Psa 143:11, Rom 8:11).
- Jesus at age 12 stood at the temple and expanded the words of prophet Isaiah who lived over a thousand years before him to the Pharisees who were older than him.
- Result? They opened their mouth wide.
- First, they couldn’t understand where Jesus learned the Greek language he was speaking with instead of Aramaic.
- Secondly, they were baffled where or how he knew anything about prophet Isaiah and what he said and how he fit in – that’s the power of meditating on God’s words – he will teach you all things (1Jn 2:27).
- Only the word of God can keep you from EVERY evil ways.
- This because Pro 4:12 says, “There is a way which seems right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.”
- But the word of God keeps you from the claws of a strange woman and from the deceit of a cunny man.
- When you meditate on the word of God “all day,” it keeps you from falling into the trap, arrows, and schemes of the enemy.
- Not departing from the ‘judgment’ of God is to accept Him as sovereign in all things even when we don’t understand.
- Job did not call God a fool despite his predicament – he accepted the ‘judgment’ of God until God came through for him
- When we accept the plan, purposes, and programs of God in our lives as sovereign, we embrace his judgment