THE PRAYER OF BINDING AND LOOSING By Bern Zumpano, M.D.
We, as believers, have the power to cast out devils (Lk. 10:19) and they MUST OBEY anything commanded in the Name of Jesus for they ARE SUBJECT to US in His Name (Lk. 10:17). Binding and loosing is the KEY to stopping Satan and his devils dead in their tracks. How do we know this? The answer lies in the revelation of Scripture which illustrates, in Daniel Chapter 10 that when Gabriel was descending from heaven to answer Daniel’s prayer, the devil or demonic principality controlling
the nation of Persia (Iraq) tried to do battle with him. Since Gabriel was on his way down from heaven, this could not have occurred in any other location other than in the heavenlies or atmospheric heaven above the earth, for Satan is referred to by Jesus as the prince of the power of the air.
Now, note this: In Mt. 16:19, it says that Jesus said that He would give us the keys to the “kingdom of heaven”. This term has for many years been very loosely translated, and, if one stops to study various forms of the literal translation from the original Greek of the New Testament manuscript it will be readily noted that the more literal and appropriate translation is “the kingdom of the heavenlies” which always refers to the atmospheric heaven above the earth and not the heaven of God. Note what Jesus said: “I will give you the KEYS to the kingdom of the heavenlies, arid WHATSOEVER you bind on earth SHALL BE BOUND in heaven and WHATSOEVER YOU loose on earth SHALL BE LOOSED in heaven.” (translation varied from the KJV to illustrate the point). The kingdom referred to in this scripture verse is the kingdom of Satan which is on the earth and in the atmospheric heaven above the earth where his demonic spirits try to stop angels from answering prayer.
Notice that the scripture says WHATSOEVER. That means WHATEVER YOU bind and loose IS bound and loosed in heaven. In other words, God comes into agreement with you and does it. How? By releasing the ANOINTING, the POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT by YOUR FAITH. Remember, it is THE ANOINTING that BREAKS the YOKE (BONDAGE) of devils (demons) and disease (Is. 10:27). When
you exercise your faith and trust in God to perform the prayer of binding and loosing through you, your faith releases the anointing which breaks the bondage and causes the deliverance to occur.
Now read the following scriptures and get them into your spirit: • Mt. 16:19 • Mt. 18:18 • Mt. 12:29
You will note that binding and loosing is thoroughly scriptural and it applies to YOU. Anywhere in the scriptures where the pronoun ‘you” appears, you can substitute your own name and the scripture will change into a more profound personal scripture to minister directly to you with increased anointing and power. This is confirmed by Mark 16:17 where Jesus says that... “in My Name YOU WILL cast out devils...”. The scriptural precedent is quite clear. The true believer WILL do these things. In fact, the verse preceding this says that such ARE THE SIGNS of those WHO BELIEVE, that is, those who are actually TRUE BELIEVERS. They step out in faith and DO. May I ask you a question? How many devils have YOU cast out lately? None? Well, you will, WHEN you STEP OUT IN FAITH AND ACCEPT GOD AT HIS WORD. THEN you will see His POWER and discover that His Word is TRUE and can be LITERALLY ACCEPTED just as it is written. That is the reason why God gave us the Scriptures… because He has something to SAY to you and me. So the key to stopping Satan and his demons is to BIND AND LOOSE them in the Name of Jesus. The word “bind” actually means “to tie up” to such a degree as to completely immobilize and paralyze, and the word “loose” means “to untie”. Satan or the demon is bound in Jesus’ Name and the person being oppressed is “loosed” from them in Jesus’ Name. Note in Mt. 12:29 that before the strongman’s house or stronghold can be pillaged or torn down that we must FIRST BIND THE STRONGMAN.
The first strongman is Satan and the strongman under him is the ruler spirit or strongman spirit assigned to the person being ministered to. The order of binding and loosing, then, when it comes to personal ministry to oppressed persons is to first bind Satan, then the ruler or strongman spirit assigned to the individual, and then each and every known underling spirit. The commands may be spoken in your own words, trusting that the Spirit leads. Examples of these appear in the next section of this topic.
You can “bind, break the power of and loose (name)... in the Name of Christ Jesus...” any or all of the following:
• demonic spirits by name or not by name, addressing the latter as “all spirits not of the Holy Spirit...” • curses (until they can be broken) • hexes • vexes • bewitchments • enchantrnents • spells • ligatures • workings (of witches) • ministrations of demons • false beliefs • false attitudes • false understandings • false wisdom • false imaginations • anything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. and BREAK THEM off of the mind of the person and cast them down as vain thoughts and imaginations.., all in the Name of Christ Jesus.
Speak it in that way: “Father, I bind, break and loose those things from the mind of (name), loose him/her from them and cast them down... in Jesus’ Name.
Then BIND TO HIM/HER the Lord Jesus’ ministering angels of love, power and a sound mind and speak clarity of thought and judgment upon the person in Jesus’ Name, as a blessing to replace that curse.
• physical or psychic (mental) attacks • physical or psychic assignments • physical or psychic operations • all arguments • judgments of witches or warlocks
Note that psychic attack can occur slowly over time as occasional but recurrent negative thoughts that finally take root in the oppressed person’s mind as a belief which they act upon or respond to, resulting in spiritual or psychological debilitation; or it may occur as barrages of thoughts flooding the mind all at one time... what someone has whimsically called a “polar bear” attack. Psychic assignments are an assignment or purpose to be carried out against a human victim by a group of demons under the ruler spirit who are instructed to carry out their assignment. When this assignment is against the human body, it is called a physical assignment.
A physical or psychic operation is a full blown assault against the mind or body of a person, or against a community or church. There is a sense of the unnatural about it, a negative discernment.
On the personal level of spiritual warfare, the battle is usually in the MIND or thought life of he individual being oppressed. REMEMBER:
ALL NEGATIVE, DISPARAGING or HARMFUL thoughts are of the Devil. Jesus said that you judge something, if it be of God, by its fruits. The fruits of such thoughts are to discourage, harm or debilitate or destroy. Jesus said that SATAN comes to destroy, kill, and steal. It is a matter of divine revelation.
THE MINISTRY OF DELIVERANCE
It is a mistake to just jump into performing deliverance upon a believer or unbeliever without discerning the leading of the Holy Spirit. It is also a mistake to attempt deliverance without the ANOINTING being present for it is the ANOINTING that breaks the yoke or bondage. There must be preparation of the deliverance minister AND discernment of the person receiving deliverance, whom I shall refer to from this point on as the ministree.
Although deliverance under the ANOINTING or POWER of the HOLY SPIRIT is relatively easy, since the Spirit is doing it through you, and NOT YOU, beginners who are learning to walk in the power of the Spirit will find on-the-job training from an experienced believer who knows how to minister deliverance to be a great blessing and provision to get started in the so-called deliverance ministry. It is not necessary, however, if one is not available, since scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach you ALL THINGS under the anointing when you step out in faith and trust Him to lead you.
This section will provide you with examples of commands that can be used, but feel free to use your own AFTER you have been prayed up and yielded to the Holy Spirit and tell Him that you TRUST Him to lead you in what to do. It is IMPORTANT to remember that EVERY command MUST be made in the NAME OF CHRIST JESUS. You have no authority to command Satan on your own. It is Jesus’ delegated authority given to you (Lk. 10:19) that permits the result. This is the ANOINTING which you release upon the ministree by your faith and which he/she MUST RECEIVE by faith. Remember, we get to command demons in Jesus’ Name because He said that the things that He did we WILL do because He was going to the father (John 14:12), and He COMMANDED demons, He commanded the wind and waters, and He commanded Lazarus to come forth from the dead. There is a scriptural precedent for doing so.
Before ministering deliverance, it is wise to interview the person seeking deliverance. Many people seek deliverance because they want to get a “monkey off of their back...”. This is wrong motive and deliverance will not occur under such conditions. It is futile to attempt it. They must seek deliverance through self-examination for sin, followed by true repentance and Godly sorrow for grieving the Holy Spirit before deliverance will occur, with the exception of a sovereign move of God’s grace. There may be open doors to demons that need to be closed first so that they don’t get cast out the front door and go around the back of the “house” in through the “back door” which has
been left open for them to come back in. These latter “back doors” which are left open are usually “legal ground” for Satan to have a stand or foothold in the person’s life through past physical or mental or emotional traumas such as rejection, bitterness, unforgiveness, resentment, criticism or judgment of others, anger, unrepentance, willful or secret sin, spiritual lukewarmness, idolatry of self or others, unbelief, doubt, resisting the Holy Spirit, holding on to sinful things that they do not want to part with, such as witchcraft objects or practices, religious objects (idols) or practices which
represent the ministry of the spirit of religion (lies) and which we never see Jesus or the apostles regarding in the scriptures, all of which is also idolatry. These are but to name some of the common and more serious hindrances to deliverance.
There must be a Godly repentance and RENOUNCEMENT of these things before deliverance will occur. When the deliverance minister is prayed up before hand and seeks the Holy Spirit for discernment or word of knowledge and word of wisdom of what to do or say, the Spirit will lead and show what needs to be repented of first, and whether or not inner healing, that is, healing of the inner man or soul (from a broken heart or wounded spirit) must take place FIRST before deliverance in order to “close the doors” of those open emotional or past physical traumas that wounded the psyche or mind. Follow the leading of the Spirit and speak those door closed and sealed by the Blood of Christ Jesus, in Christ Jesus’ Name and ask the Lord to seal them in the Spirit by trusting faith in His Name, and He will do it. Sometimes this alone will effect deliverance since healing and deliverance are one and the same. They are just different manifestations of the same ANOINTING. Be yielded to the Holy Spirit after acknowledging Him and His anointing and then TRUST and follow the inclinations of your intuition (spirit man) immediately thereafter. After all, you said that you TRUSTED the Holy Spirit, didn’t you? Well then, DO IT. You will be amazed at how accurately He will lead you.
A) Requirements for the minister of deliverance:
• Go before the Lord and confess your own sins to Him and repent and ask for forgiveness. We cannot stand on the hill of the Lord without a pure heart and clean hands. (Ps. 24:4)
Be prayed up before hand with abundant thanksgiving and praise, and TONGUES if you speak in tongues. I have found from personal experience that if I spend 1-3 hours doing this beforehand that the deliverance session will be relatively short, perhaps 1-3 hours, and sometimes just minutes. Whenever I have spent less time in prayer, I have found that sessions took much longer, up to 6-12 hours. I do not believe that God wants that, and that when such occurred there was a reasonable chance that there was a block to deliverance.
• Seek discernment from the Holy Spirit.
• acknowledge the Lord in all of your ways; tell Him in particular that you acknowledge His salvation, healing, deliverance, provision, blessings, protection, covenant, Blood, Spirit, gifts of the Spirit, the Anointing, and His PRESENCE.
• then, tell Him that you YIELD to His Holy Spirit as and empty vessel for His use, then tell Him that you TRUST Him, by your FAITH in Him for His manifestations of His Spirit.
• then proceed to ACT. Do something. Start commanding in the Name of Jesus.
• be sure that you do not have any of the sins or blocks mentioned above, in your own life, which will hinder your effectiveness to minister also.
B) Requirements of the ministree:
• right motive
• confession of sin preferably a born-again, Spirit-filled believer. Whereas deliverance of unbelievers is possible, it is also dangerous since, if they will not follow up with a commitment for Christ and faithwalk through a life of prayer and scripture reading, the gospel of Matthew says that the demon, seeing that its house has been cleaned, after wandering in dry places, says that it will return to its house... bringing 7 spirits worse than itself so that the end state of the person ends up
being worse than the first. Unbelievers should be given the GOSPEL FIRST and elect and promise to make a FIRM COMMITMENT to CHRIST and His faithwalk before receiving deliverance.
• determine the need for inner healing of emotional/physical traumas or any other special needs beforehand.
• must not doubt that God wants them free nor be in unbelief.
• must not be a lukewarm Christian.
• must not have secret sin, bitterness, anger, resentment or unforgiveness on their heart beforehand; if they do, they must will to repent and renounce and RELEASE the offending party from their anger or unforgiveness, and THEN release and forgive THEMSELVES. It must be from the heart and not just “going through the motions...” to get the job done so that they get set free. Wrong motive will not bring deliverance.
• they MUST receive deliverance by GRACE through their FAITH IN CHRIST JESUS and believe they receive.
• they must DESIRE to be free and AGREE that they want the devils out of their thought-life.
C) THE DELIVERANCE PROCEDURE
There are many ways to minister deliverance. The simplest way described by scripture is to simply command the spirit out in the Name of Jesus... saying “Come out of him/her in the Name of Christ Jesus” or “spirit of (name), I bind you and break your power, and loose (name of person) from you, and cast you out in the Name of Christ Jesus.” They will go wandering in dry places unless you direct them specifically, using commands, such as to the feet of Christ Jesus or to the pit to await the end of the age; in other words to locations where there has already been a scriptural precedent for them to go or be. More formal deliverance is not at all out of order since it affords the believer the opportunity to exercise his/her AUTHORITY in Christ and thus builds the faith of both the minister and the ministree. In such instances I use the following commands, telling the ministree that I am now going to talk to their thoughts and not to them, and asking the ministree to speak aloud the FIRST THOUGHT that enters their mind should I ask the spirit a question, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I then give the following commands and statements:
• “All spirits not of the Holy Spirit, I address you in the Name of Christ Jesus..”
• “In the Name of Christ Jesus, I: take authority over you, bind each of you and break your powers bind you, Satan, up and off from the ruler spirit, from all spirits above, around and below him, bind you ruler spirit up and off from Satan, from those above, around and below you, and each and ever one of you demonic spirits under the ruler spirit up and off from the ruler spirit and Satan... all in Christ Jesus Name. I break all of your powers and command you to cease ministry in Christ Jesus’ Name. I bind each and everyone of you up and off from taking violent action, retaliation or revenge, or accusations... in Christ Jesus’ Name. I bind up and off all reinforcements, in Christ Jesus’ Name. I command you to stop giving (name of ministree) your benefits or ministrations, I break your communications and supply lines, and I bind up and off all kindred spirits.., in Christ Jesus’ Name.” Now there will be several options. Be led by the Spirit. You can either bind the underling spirits to the ruler spirit, which is extremely effective, and cast the ruler spirit out in Christ Jesus’ Name. All under him will follow and leave in panic because they no longer have leadership. Or, after binding Satan and the ruler spirit, you can command out the particular spiri t causing the debilitating behavior or emotion, by name, calling it “spirit of (name it), come out of him/her in the Name of Christ Jesus.” Keep REPEATING COMMANDS until a MANIFESTATION is preferably seen. Continue to bind, loose, and cast out in the Name of Jesus until you feel a release from the Holy Spirit that the deliverance (exorcism) is complete.
• What else to expect during the deliverance session:
• delay tactics from the enemy such as:
• mockery (spirit of mockery)
• drowsiness ministered to the ministree (command the spirit to look directly into your eyes in Jesus’ Name.
• physical sensations directed against the ministers body, such as prickling and tingling sensations to instill fear (don’t budge, friends, it’s only a show, a bluff... remember they have NO POWER... it was taken from them at the cross by Jesus nearly 2000 years ago.
• inducing fear in the minister
• verbal threats (tell them to shut up” in Christ Jesus Name.)
• signs and wonders to instill fear. Ignore them.
• supernatural strength
• signs of persistent demonic presence:
• voicing of supernaturally obtained knowledge of the minister or his/her identity
• dilated pupils in bright light (excepting medications or a medical condition)
• supernatural strength.
SIGNS that DELIVERANCE is taking place:
• yawning • wretching or vomiting • passing gas-rare • sneezing • coughing, sometimes violently
• there may be no physical signs in which case the Spirit will give discernment that the devil has departed. In my experience, the most effective deliverances I have seen have been those in which I have seen a physical manifestation of the spirit leaving such as those above.
SIGNS THAT DELIVERANCE IS COMPLETED:
• the ministree’s countenance changes.
• the ministree feels “lighter” (do not depend on feelings alone)
• signs that the Holy Spirit has brought the deliverance to completion (the Spirit’s signs):
• peace overcomes the ministree
• joy overcomes him/her
• ministree goes into thanksgiving and praise
• ministree sings “in the Spirit”.
• ministree dances “in the Spirit”
• minister and rninistree receive word of knowledge revelation from the Spirit that the deliverance is complete. You “know”. This is the witness of the Holy Spirit.
The ministree MUST:
• pray daily
• read scripture daily
• get into Christian community
• worship with others at church on Sunday
• be encouraged to give regular and continual thanksgiving and praise to the Lord over time.
• have a contact person to call during the follow-up period if they have questions or recurring troubles from opening the door to Satan again through sin, doubt, or unbelief.
• receive ministry to build them up in FAITH and in the WORD of God which is able to RENEW THEIR
DELIVERANCE FOR CHURCHES, TOWNS, VILLAGES, STATES, PROVINCES, NATIONS:
• The order of binding and loosing is different and MUST include the principalities and powers that govern them. This applies even to churches since they function as places of PUBLIC assembly even though they may be private non-profit organizations.
• The order of binding and LOOSING will be
HIERARCHICAL from the top down, just as government operates. You can say, for example:
• “Father in Christ Jesus’ Name I bind, break the powers of, and loose from (name of church or
city, county, state, or nation) firstly Satan, then:
• the princes of the north, south, east, and west...
• the prince over the Americas (or other country)
• the prince of N. America
• the prince of the United States
• the prince of Florida (state or province)
• the prince of Dade county
• the prince of Miami (or other city)
• the ruler spirit over (name of church) (name of public place)
• the ruler spirits over its pastor and each of its people (or over the heads of government and then the people)
• and, in particular, the spirits of (names) manifesting against them, or to or through them against (names of people, church, etc.).”
• then pray,” I bind Satan first, then each and every one of them up and off from him and from those above, around and below, and all above around and below up and off from the ruler spirits, principalities and powers, and from each other. I LOOSE (names of people) from each of them. I take into captivity all of their seedings, works, plans, and activities, curse them at their roots and call them all canceled, made null and void, never manifested, never come to pass, rendered of no effect and no more seeded, ALL IN THE NAME OF CHRIST JESUS.”
In personal or corporate deliverance the principle of ‘praying through” is of paramount importance. On the personal level in dealing with an oppressed person, the commands of binding, loosing, and casting out are simply and firmly REPEATED aloud until the will of the demonic spirit is broken and he can no longer resist. Signs of this happening are commonly seen in the form of crying or pleading behavior. Keep commanding them to come out in the Name.
On the corporate level, as in a church or its pastor(s) or people, the commands should be repeated and prayer continued until an obvious change is noted in the condition of the church, nation, city, or whatever is being prayed for. Release from the Holy Spirit will be experienced in the form of the spiritual fruits of peace joy, and the Gifts of the Spirit in the form of discernment or word of knowledge that freedom has come. It may be associated with spontaneous thanksgiving, praise, singing or dancing “in the Spirit”, that is, led by the Holy Spirit (David danced in the Spirit before the Ark). These are ALL signs that the prayers have been answered.
The best time to start deliverance is in the early morning, not during the late evening hours when Satan knows that you might be tired and then try to fatigue you to get you to back off (excepting “emergencies”). If the minister tires from physical fatigue after long sessions, the deliverance can be continued thereafter in two or three hour sessions over prearranged times, binding Satan and any reinforcements up and off from reentering the stronghold. Remember, there is no time or distance in the spirit world.
Some deliverances occur over time. I know of one that required weekly sessions for almost one year. Most, however, require only one or two sessions. DEPEND on the Holy Spirit to lead and DELIVER. Persistence is the KEY. KEEP commanding departure in the Name of Jesus. It will happen by FAITH in Him. The minister must be encouraged NOT to be discouraged if nothing happens immediately but to keep BELIEVING and TRUSTING that JESUS WILL DO IT by THEIR FAITH in Him. Why? Because the Scripture tells us that JESUS CHRIST IS FAITHFUL and that WHAT HE HAS PROMISED HE WILL DO, for GOD IS NOT A MAN THAT HE SHOULD LIE to us.
Deliverance, brothers and sisters, is part of the Abrahamic covenant promise to us who BELIEVE.
Read more on prayers