Bern Zumpano, M.D.
HOW TO STUDY THE WORD OF GOD
“To get ANY benefit from the Word of God, you MUST first be a born-
again, Spirit-filled Christian. This is an absolute requirement. You must be IN THEKINGDOM
OF GOD for the Holy Spirit to OPEN UP the things of the Kingdom toyour mind.”
This DOES NOT come from being baptized in water as an adult or aninfant. Water does not renew the spirit or give salvation. Salvation (being “born-again”of the Spirit) is ALWAYS through BLOOD... the Blood Atonement of Jesus. It isBLOOD that remits sin.., both in the Old Testament and New Testament. Being“born-again” is NECESSARY to obtain admission to heaven (John 3:3-6) and isALWAYS by INVITATION, inviting Christ into the heart to become Lord and Savior(Rev. 3: 20), repenting of sin and renouncing it, and is received by FAITH alone (inHim). (Eph. 2: 8,9).
2. You will never see any great manifestations of the Holy Spirit in your life if you willnot spend TIME with Him, that is, to covenant with 1-fim. He is a covenant-makingand covenant-keeping God.. You must spend a minimum of 1/2 to 1 hour daily in thereading of the Word of God. Set out to ha ve a certain time of day, a QUIET TIME,dedicated FAITHFULLY to the Lord, each day. In the early mornings is preferable,since this is the time of day when the mind is rested and refreshed, and the scripturestell us, also the best time to hear God’s voice.
3. Pray to the Holy Spirit to open your mind to the Word.
4. Have a REGULAR reading schedule. IF you are a new Christian and have not readthe Bible before, you will find it possible to read through the Bible in ONE YEAR, orthereabouts, by reading daily the following:
• 2 chapters of the New Testament (about 1 and 1/2 pages)
• 3 chapters of the Old Testament (about 2 and 1/2 pages)
• one Psalm one Proverb
a) You may decide to divide up your reading time in order to read the NewTestament in the mornings and the Old Testament at night.
b) an alternative method is to read 5 full pages of the Bible daily, beginningwith the New Testament, and THEN reading the Old Testament,understanding that the Old Testament teaches us God’s plan and intentions forman, and His WAYS, as well as His Word (so does the N.T.), and in it we findthe “types” and “shadows” of things to come, as God shows us His plan ofsalvation through the “types” and examples.
5. To get a QUICK “JUMP-START” on the faithwalk”:
a. Before you begin reading the Bible, ALWAYS study the NEWTESTAMENT FIRST. ALWAYS. Christians are New Covenant (Testament)people and, therefore, need to know the N.T. first.
b. Read the New Testament SEVERAL TIMES before beginning your study of the Old Testament. By so doing, you will better understand the Old Testament“types”, and God’s plan, by recognizing HOW they were fulfilled in the NewTestament.
c. For a QUICK “JUMP-START” on the faithwalk with Jesus, BEFORE youbegin reading the New Testament from beginning-to-end, first read in thefollowing order:
1. the Gospel of John- to understand who Jesus really is, His divinity.
2. the Book of Romans- to fully understand how you are SAVED.
3. the Book of Hebrews-to understand FAITH and HOW to haveSTRONG FAITH.
6. Understand that the Bible is meant to be re -read over-and-over again throughoutour lifetime on the Christian faithwalk. EVERY TIME you re read Bible, the HolySpirit will TEACH you something NEW. It ALWAYS brings new REVELATION.
7. Scripture revelation by the Holy Spirit is ALWAYS ENHANCED by PRAYINGIN “TONGUES” OR PRAISE PRAYER before reading. If you do not pray intongues, PRAISE the Lord for a brief period of time before getting into the Word.Then try doing it and not doing it, for demonstration purposes. See the difference thatit makes when you do things God’s way.
SUMMARY OF GOD’S PROMISES TO YOU THROUGH HIS WORD:
Walking in the Word of God, studying it, acting on it, believing it, and receiving it into your heart, and CONFESSING it ALOUD over yourself, your loved ones and your circumstances, according to the Bible, BRINGS the following blessings (as we haveseen):
2. possession (blessing)
3. change of circumstances
5. God’s promises
The 3 KEYS to seeing God’s Word work for you are:
1) HEAR IT AND DO IT (James 1:25)
2) CONFESS IT ALOUD over your loved ones, you and your circumstancesas it applies to you. (Mk. 11:23,24; Prov. 18 :21)
3) BACK IT BY FAITH (Heb. 11:1; 2 Cor. 5:7)
REMEMBER, the Word of God is God’s LOVE LETTER TO YOU. It is YOURINHERITANCE in Him. All of its PROMISES are for YOU and your loved ones,BUT they MUST be APPROPRIATED or taken possession of by FAITH, whichrequires ACTION on your part. Then FAITH in Christ RELEASES the ABILITY ofJESUS to PERFORM THE WORD on YOUR behalf.
May the God of all Grace BLESS YOU with His Word, in Jesus’ Name.
Taken from the book, Bible Basics for Kingdom Living by Bern Zumpano, M.D.
Other Bible Study Materials