HEALING INNER WOUNDS THROUGH READING By Bola Olu-Jordan
1. DEFINITION OF TERMS: Wounds.
Wounds are injuries or sores sustained in accidents, fall, fatigue, etc.
Sometimes, if the wounds are not properly managed and or promptly taken care of, it may become malignant (cancerous), cause sickness, disability, or even death of the body. But since man is a tripartite being consisting of the body, soul and spirit. The question is: can the other ‘beings’ of man (soul and spirit) also be wounded?
The answer is ‘yes’.
Soul Wound: When the soul is wounded, it is called ‘inner wounds’ just like the body is called physical wound
Wound is inflicted on the soul through the gateway of the mind, will emotions, feelings, intellect and experiences
Spirit Wound: Permanent wound had already been inflicted on our spirit-man by inheritance through the sin of Adam and Eve
So, our spirit man is wounded by default and the link between the spirit of man and the Spirit of God is broken
But, when we come to Christ, the spirit-wound is healed by Him and our spirit-man is restored
But, the healing of the inner (soul) wound is the work of the Holy Spirit which is called the renewing of the mind (Rom.12:2; Tit.3:5).
The Holy Spirit uses different methods to do this part of which is inspired reading of literatures, etc.
While we can get healing to our physical body by seeking medical help,
Jeremiah infers that the heart (soul and spirit) can be so sick that it may not be healed
"Who can understand the human heart? There is nothing else so deceitful; it is too sick to be healed” (Jer 17:9. GNB)
David said the soul can be torn into pieces by the enemies with no one to deliver (Psa 7:2).
The soul can also be bound (Numbers 30:9)
When all these occur, it means inner wounds has been sustained which cannot be seen physically, but deadly
How can we know when our soul is wounded? (Manifestations of Inner Wounds)
Just like physical wounds, the affected areas will have some manifestations like rashes, swelling, boils, lesions, tear, lacerations, etc.
Evil thoughts, Bitter words, bitterness, regret, unforgiveness, sulking, anger, loneliness, suspicion, resentment, hatred, distrust, mental exhaustion, inertia, actions and reactions that are in the likeness of the wounds to the soul man
When we experience these things, it means our soul man is wounded and can lead to spiritual death, if not properly and or promptly taken care of
Dangers of Inner Wounds
Just like physical wounds constitute health hazard to the body,
Inner wounds do more, because it cannot be seen but damages the soul
It can distort our general perspectives i.e. we tend to see things through the wounds and not as they really are
They badly modify our behaviours, they redefine our personalities, they attempt to pervert and make us doubt our beliefs, they shatter our relationships i.e. we lose trust and interest in people
Causes of Inner Wounds
Generally wounds are caused either by a fall, accident or growth
Inner wounds develop through bitter words spoken by others or self
Anger, Hatred, Abuse, Disappointment, Rejection, Self pity, etc
2. Why Healing is Necessary
If the physical wound is left untreated, it may lead to separation of the body from the soul (death)
So also inner wounds can separate the soul from the spirit
Bitterness, resentment, anger, malice, unforgiveness, regret, self pity, etc enstranges you from God
Inner wounds cause infirmity (Pro 15:13)
They may lead to taking offenses (Psalm 37:1; 73:13)
The wounds serve as hooks for demonic spirits to come into our lives legally (e.g. the spirit of vengeance may attach to wound caused by disappointment)
Even medically, trauma can lead to psychosis
3. Differences between Spirit-Inspired Christian Literature and Christian/Biblical Literature
Although, both of them use the Bible as the source of authority, the following differences are observable:
- Spirit-inspired Christian literature is REVELATION based, while Christian/biblical literature is KNOWLEDGE based (facts and wisdom)
- This is erroneously used today in place of biblical counseling: it is ‘logical’ counseling using the bible
- Just like Inspiration is different from Aspiration: God inspires, man aspires!
- It’s like casting out demons by Beelzebub or using soul power to treat soul trouble
- Most Christian literatures today are soul-inspired but not spirit inspired, discernment is needed
- Spirit-inspired literature is birthed to meet specific needs in the body while Christian/biblical literature pursues a theme or themes.
4. Roles of Spirit-Inspired Literature
“If you want to conceal a secret from a black man, put it in a book” - anonymous
Daniel 9:2: Daniel understood “by books”
Prov. 4:7: Wisdom is the principal thing…
Joh.5:39: Search the scriptures...
Although, most Christian literatures, purportedly written through inspiration are done through aspiration, but there are still many inspired literatures that:
- Show us that we are not alone in whatever situation we find ourselves; and also those who pass through the same or similar thing we pass through (I Cor 10:13) with success
- It brings healing through the revelation of how to forgive those who hurt us and motivate us to be patient in tribulations and also encourage others in similar situations
- Inspired literatures reveal what is hidden, since it is the work of the Holy Spirit to heal inner wounds
- They areas where demonic hooks hide and restore healing
- They serve as angels of the Lord to restore the fellowship we lack; provide answers to our long unanswered questions, restore our confidence in Christ and His works, etc
Discernment is needed: Not all Christian books are inspired, just like not all Christian writings are - (apocrypha). Judge by the Word of God, which has the total authority on spiritual matters (Heb.4:12; 1Jn.4:1).
Raising formidable End-time Disciples is crucial at this time because the battle is not for the wounded at heart; wounded soldiers are not fit for battle front. Without healing of inner wounds, the work is defeated.
But when the inner wound is healed, the spirit will be restored to God and the physical body will be in health (3Jn.1:2; Joel 3:13)
But God’s people perish for lack of knowledge… because you reject knowledge …
Reading the Bible and inspired literatures can heal inner wounds.